Forums

Topic: The Chit-Chat Thread

Posts 97,181 to 97,200 of 97,212

Jennay

Huge question for help!! I got my kids switches for Christmas and want to set them up correctly. Is their a guide for setting up family accounts? My biggest question is... if I buy a game digitally is it playable on all the switches at the same time?

Super new to all this so please be patient 😔☺️

Jennay

Eel

@Jennay a digital game will only be available to for the account that bought it (or other profiles that share the primary console of that account). You can’t share a digital license amongst everyone in your family group, every person needs to get their own copy of the game.

A family group is only really useful to share a family Nintendo Switch Online subscription.

—————

If you’re confused about this whole primary account thing, basically….

Every Nintendo account can have one Nintendo Switch assigned as its primary console. However you can also log into that account in any other number of Nintendo Switches. Those become the “non-primary” consoles.

All non-primary consoles will have access to the games and content of that account, but in a restricted way: it mainly involves making regular online checks to make sure only one person is using that account at any given moment.

Other accounts/profiles on those consoles will not have access to the content of that account, only the owner of the content.

On the other hand, on your primary console, you have unrestricted access to your digital content: you can play anytime anywhere without checks or anything like that.

If a primary console opens a game while another console is using the same account, then the non-primary console becomes paused until they exit the game or the primary console goes offline/closes the game.

All the other profiles on an account’s primary console can play that account’s digital content as well, unlike with non-primary consoles. This is the closest you have to being able to share games.

[Edited by Eel]

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Anti-Matter

I have watched Transformers One for four time.
Yup, four time at my local cinema XXI.
It was pretty good movie about the history of the feud between Optimus Prime and Megatron.
I saw the other upcoming movie at my local cinema XXI will be The Wild Robot by Dreamworks. Not really sure it will be good movie to watch but i will take a look again the trailer.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

@WoomyNNYes
I brought my own snack while watching the movie. 🤫
Last year i have watched Paw Patrol Mighty movie for 5 times, Trolls 3 for 6 times.

Anti-Matter

Anti-Matter

No....!
The Sims 4 DLC discounted price are already finished. 😖
I saw some 50% sale price for certain Expansion Packs yesterday but when i checked the price again on PS5 Store, the price back to normal price. 😟
Well, i have to wait another days for any discounted price of The Sims 4 DLC as i don't want to spend their full price of DLC.
I hate this EA scummy business practice but i still like The Sims games.

[Edited by Anti-Matter]

Anti-Matter

Tyranexx

@Pastellioli I have heard the "Modern Rare is bad" refrain for sure, but it's one I can't comment on since I've not kept track of their recent doings lol. Some of it is due to nostalgia by some I'm sure. And yes, game development these days does typically take much longer...and requires higher budgets. I'm neutral since I've barely ever touched the Xbox ecosystem and don't think I've played any of their games past the SNES. But yeah, I am glad their classic IPs are not going to waste.

I'll have to look up Everwild and see what it's about. Though if the game has been rebooted with little fanfair outside of an announcement, I'll likely not find too much accurate info at this point. Especially if the game has switched genres. I highly doubt the game will release this year unless it's shadow dropped.... Which doesn't seem wise.

@MarioVillager92 More choices can be good, but then there's definitely the inevitable choice paralysis. XD Technically, some games can never be finished due to how they're set up. At that point, it's definitely up to the player if they want to keep going. The markers on whether someone beats or finishes a game is ultimately up to the individual. Sure, most games have credit reels, but some of these are false or roll long before one may consider a game finished.

I would like to hear about your experience if you do ever get on another rollercoaster. I've been to two theme parks in Missouri, both with a fair amount of rollercoasters: Silver Dollar City near Branson, MO and Six Flags St. Louis. Both are fun parks in their own ways. I'm actually overdue to visit a Six Flags again.

I did help take care of classroom fish in school sometimes, but I never found them very interesting or affectionate lol. I prefer mammals or reptiles when it comes to pets (And yes, some reptiles can show signs of affection!). No pets currently though. Some people bash on Mario games as being too easy, and they'd be correct if they're just playing start to finish. However, some of the extras or going for 100% completion can be MUCH harder.

On my avatar: Thanks! It seemed perfect for fall. I like Boos, plus this one is eating one of my favorite things: a sweet potato. I like your avatar change too; Mario's victory poses are usually fun and iconic IMO.

@Sunsy Fun fact, someone I used to work with worked part-time at a drive-in theater when he was in high school. He got to see a ton of free movies that summer. His favorite was Disney's Up.

I kind of picture each emotion having a resemblance to them, only with a different color to symbolize each of their own emotions. Or maybe we can only have a concept of a concept go so far....

Currently playing: Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom, Ys Seven (PC)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Pastellioli

@Tyranexx While I do agree with others that modern Rare isn't like what they are today (no longer frequently releasing games every year, different staff, etc.) I do disagree with a lot of people that they are worse just because they don't make new games using their classic IP and want to make new stuff. I would say it could have been poor management of the studio back in the 2000s after Microsoft's purchase that led to a lot of the staff that contributed to Rare's magic and prosperity leaving and working for new companies or even starting their own companies, and some people did think that they neglected Rare a ton compared to their other first-party studios.

But, Microsoft was never a factor in why Rare changed with the games they made, and I believe the studio changing the types of games they made and not using their old IPs is not a factor in the studio becoming "bad," cuz Sea of Thieves has done extremely well (I would say it even outdid a lot of their popular N64 IPs) and it is not even based on a classic IP they made! While I do love a lot of their old IPs a lot and do wish the rest of theirs could come back, who knows how well some of them would have even sold, and who even knows if they would have been amazing by modern standards if they had the same staff work on them. I think that a team mixed with old staff and newer staff could be best, but I'm not a game developer, so who knows if that would work. I know that Yooka-Laylee game was developed by the same staff that did the Banjo-Kazooie games when they still worked at Rare, and I recall everyone being unimpressed with the game even though it was intended to be super similar to Banjo and had a lot of elements that made everyone love the Banjo games a lot, but I'd have to assume that some of the game mechanics and structure were outdated in the modern day. I cannot imagine how bad a modern Conker game would be if they had the same staff work on it, given its very controversial nature probably couldn't work in the modern day unless they significantly changed it to avoid having it dismissed as "edgy" or "outdated."

I do want Everwild to do well and I want it to be interesting, but I think the lack of updates and how there has not been any significant news since its reveal has made a lot of people forget about it or lose excitement, and the fact that reports have very conflicting information on its genre is a bad sign. People have been assuming Everwild's state is from bad management, which it could likely be, but again, who knows? I pretty much don't expect them to release it until nearing the end of the Series console's lifespans at this point, but it would be shocking if they did release it earlier. Definitely not this year, if they shadow-dropped that thing without any trailers or info to build excitement, I do not think it would do amazing if they went with that approach, cuz I think it is considered a triple-A game by them.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

Eel

I’m running my very first D&D campaign with a small group of friends. I’m following the adventure from the Essentials Kit, and tomorrow is officially session 1 (session 0 was last week).

Having the kit as a base is very helpful, but being the game master is still like having homework! The book gives very little in terms of detail, so I’m busy getting things in order, and adding a few extra events and opportunities to get loot… to make their first official mission feel more like a complete adventure.

It’s gonna be our first time engaging in actual combat and all that. Wish me luck 😅

[Edited by Eel]

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

BougieBeetle

@Pastellioli I think it's definitely true that Rare's troubles began before the Microsoft buyout. The Stamper brothers' dictatorial style and insistence on long, grueling hours was taking a toll, and certain teams had already left (the Goldeneye team for example). Their relationship with Nintendo had begun to fray as well, due to Rare's output slowing down significantly in the N64 era and then really slowing down in the Gamecube era, and also I suspect due to Conker's Bad Fur Day being the type of game Nintendo didn't wish to publish. Mr. Yamauchi and the board were only too happy to sell Nintendo's shares to Microsoft at an inflated price.

Gregg Mayles is still at Rare and he'll tell you that Microsoft is a dream to work for, but other staff have said that while MS was initially hands-off, they gradually instituted more corporate control, leading many longtime staff to depart. And the Stampers themselves left pretty shortly into the MS era, driving off into the sunset in their luxury cars with their hundreds of millions of pounds, lol. Rare today shares very little DNA with classic Rare, but that doesn't mean it's a bad developer. They just have different priorities and are targeting a different market than before.

“Why do you speak of certain reversals—machinery connected wrong, for instance, as being ‘ass backwards’? I can’t understand that. Ass usually is backwards, right? You ought to be saying ‘ass forwards,’ if backwards is what you mean."

Pastellioli

@BougieBeetle I have also heard some others mentioning that they were struggling way before the buyout, but a lot of people believe that the scenario where Rare got worse after being bought by Microsoft is the one that is true. I do agree with you that the troubles likely started a few years after the buyout, cuz I can recall reading that former Rare staff mentioned that near the N64's lifespan, Nintendo stopped giving them an almost unlimited budget that let them make whatever games they wanted without worrying about how much money they spent making the games. It did seem with later releases like Bad Fur Day that they were completely on their own when making the games with little to no involvement or assistance from Nintendo since Rare had to publish that game themselves and had to get THQ to publish it in Europe since Nintendo's European branch refused to be the game's publisher, which would have probably gotten them into hot water. That, paired with old staff leaving the company, really changed the studio significantly. In retrospective, a lot wished Nintendo bought Rare, but some argue that Nintendo wouldn't have fixed or changed their state at the time and say that if it weren't for Microsoft coming in to buy them, Rare could have closed down decades ago from how much they were struggling from Nintendo not providing them large game budgets and sales on their newer games not reaching the same heights as most of their N64 lineup.

Rare of course, isn't bad just because they have changed, they just want to make new and different games than their output in the 90s-00s and seemingly are targeting newer gamers rather than older gamers. I remember someone who remained at Rare (can't remember his name) said a quote that went like "Rare hasn't gone away, we just make different games" and that is very true. I am glad that Microsoft does let Rare make any kind of games and gives them freedom, but I think Microsoft not managing the studio well or not stepping in to give some sort of assistance is why their newer game, Everwild, is taking so long to release, cuz it sounded like management is why the game is taking a bit long.

Microsoft did seem to kind of adopt a sort of corporate stance a bit during the 360 era toward Rare. They still appeared to be hands-off, but some people think that the way they handled some games Rare was developing was from higher-ups. The two examples I can think of are sequels to Bad Fur Day and Perfect Dark that got canceled before they were finished.

For the former, Rare was developing ideas for a sequel despite how badly the first game did commercially, and when they presented it to Microsoft higher-ups, they didn't outright tell them to cancel it, but said they didn't have any interest in it, and I think Microsoft's lack of interest in it was a factor in why the game got canceled, but the director said he lost interest in making a sequel after the long development time of Bad Fur Day on the N64, and I remember watching a video where he was quoted as having thought the cancellation was more on him. The Perfect Dark sequels were more so from a meeting between Rare and Microsoft, where they explained that having another sci-fi FPS series was unnecessary since they already had Halo. So while Microsoft didn't force them to cancel any of their game projects, the feelings and opinions of the higher-ups are believed to have played a role in why some of their projects never saw the light of day, but Rare also did not have a genuine interest in making a couple of their games.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

BougieBeetle

@Pastellioli I agree with all the points you made!

Rare seems to have had a lot of trouble bringing games to fruition and releasing them on time during the N64 era, and even before. Banjo-Kazooie notoriously underwent many, many changes and restarts during its long development. I think another issue was DK64 requiring the Expansion Pak to be bundled in, which Nintendo surely wasn't happy about. Giving all those problems plaguing development, it's no wonder Nintendo lost confidence in the studio and was no longer willing to give them their full support.

The Stampers appear to have been somewhat difficult people to deal with, but they did create a unique culture at Rare where everyone worked extremely hard and had a strong team mentality. After MS took over, I think the biggest change was cultural. There was more oversight, more documentation, more corporate alignment, etc., but they also relaxed certain restrictions, like how the Stampers forbid teams from discussing their projects with other teams, or how they banned internet use at work. Nevertheless, without the brothers at the helm, Rare did seem to sort of flounder creatively and commercially until being put on Kinect Sports. I'm happy that Sea of Thieves has been successful for them, even though it's not my jam. As for Everwild, I can only assume it's vaporware at this point, and I would be very surprised if it ever sees release. But I'd love to be wrong!

“Why do you speak of certain reversals—machinery connected wrong, for instance, as being ‘ass backwards’? I can’t understand that. Ass usually is backwards, right? You ought to be saying ‘ass forwards,’ if backwards is what you mean."

Pastellioli

@BougieBeetle Rare had a lot of ambitious ideas back then and did seem to have a really hard time getting them to work or making them a reality, notably that Stop 'n' Swop feature they were planning to implement with their N64 games and weren't able to do because of Nintendo's fears that it would damage their consoles. I do think stuff like that could have been a factor in why Nintendo started to give them less and less big budgets for their games and didn't bother buying them despite purchasing half of their shares. There was of course some other stuff with Nintendo, like how Rare turned Dinosaur Planet into Star Fox Adventures because of how Miyamoto thought the protagonist looked like Fox. I can imagine there was way more stuff going on behind the scenes and disagreements about changing it from an original IP to a pre-existing IP, mostly stemming from the fact that some people who worked on the game said they were disappointed over the change and their work being scrapped and changed significantly.

Rare for sure did have a different culture back then that has significantly changed over time. I read that Rare was extremely secretive and didn't like sharing game info with the public, but the staff changes over the decades is probably why they have lightened up and become more open to their fans.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

Pastellioli

Gonna be gaming and staying up late and feeling happy after getting a bit tired and annoyed today. There's this feeling that staying up late playing games exudes that I can't exactly describe...I think it feels so nice being able to have some time to yourself and unwind and get comfy and stop when you feel like it. Its even better when you play video games on your bed all snuggled up in a blanket!

I'm replaying Yokai Watch 2 on the 3DS and am gonna have some fun replaying it all night, but I can't tell you how mad and sad I am that they stopped localizing the games at 3. It makes me sad replaying the game and then remembering how short-lived it was in America from how no one cared about it after the first game, especially since I found the concepts so cool and the humor was absurd and stupidly hilarious. Gosh, I am still so upset they were going to localize the fourth game on the Switch and the rest of the animes and movies then were stopped from doing so from financial issues and had the series stay Japan-exclusive after localizing the third game. At least the upcoming game they recently showed off is likely coming to America, but I feel so sad that the fourth game is never getting localized at this point from how no one cares about it anymore.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

WoomyNNYes

CaleBoi25 wrote:

I am a pretty skinny person, but I am also tall, so in order to get a Grand Festival shirt that fit lengthwise, I ordered a large... now it looks like I used the in game button [(Y) Adjust Gear] lol!

@CaleBoi25 I have a similar problem with shirts fitting. I'm 5'11". Large shirts are usually too baggy on me, and it looks ridiculous. While if I put on a medium shirt, it's usually bordering on too snug, and my shoulders don't fit. I guess my shoulders are wider than most off the rack fits. Sometimes, the medium fits me best, but then I don't have room for any shrinkage, so I always have to hang dry. It's a real pain in the ass to find clothes that fit me, especially since retail stores & places to try on clothes have closed.

Extreme bicycle rider (<--Link to a favorite bike video)
'Tendo liker

Sunsy

@Pastellioli Yeah, I remember seeing some of these in GameStop well before the word amiibo even existed. Never did have a chance to try the game, I got amiibos for various Wii U games, and even used some of them on Switch.

Never played Subway Surfers, always been happy with Minion Rush. I haven't beaten Sonic CD on mobile yet, but from the sounds of it, it's similar to the old Steam version of Sonic CD, I have beaten that one and remember unlocking Tails.

Indeed, I can say there's been plenty of games I've liked that are no longer playable. I use to play Dawn of the Breakers on Switch, I can't play it anymore. I use to play Need for Speed World on PC, and it's no longer playable. The funny thing is some of these games could easily be played offline against CPU. I don't think Dawn of the Breakers even had online multiplayer, it was a beat 'em up with RPG elements. I think

I remember seeing Dragalia Lost advertised on Nintendo's website at one point, never looked into it. I was a really late adopter to smartphones, getting my first in 2020. I stuck with a flip phone because I felt I didn't need one. Being someone who's autistic and can't drive, I should have adopted it sooner. Using Lyft actually helps me get around for the few times I need to go out on my own. It feels good not having to always rely on family or friends to go somewhere.

Yup, it also didn't help that the other games Conker was in, Conker's Pocket Tales and Diddy Kong Racing, were rated E and KA (Kid to Adult, it was the early E rating) respectively. Conker wasn't even in the Diddy Kong Racing remake on DS either.

Indeed, they just have a whole treasure chest of little info and bits that were removed. My personal favorite has always been the prototypes of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for Genesis. It even got shown to the public in an old TV show, Nick Arcade, and showed some differences to the final game others have played, like using Sonic 1 music for example.

@Tyranexx That's really cool. I kind of wish I could see an actual drive-in. Maybe one day knowing there's still one in my state, it is tied to that old indoor theater too.

It would be like a neverending wave of emotions within emotions too.

The resident Trolls superfan! Saw Trolls Band Together via early access and absolutely loved it!

CaleBoi25

Also Bored... :/

SplatComp

Currently Playing: Blanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-3225-4369-7994 | My Nintendo: CaleBoi25

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic