Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 70,121 to 70,140 of 70,145

skywake

Honestly sometimes I feel like I like the idea of games more than I like games. And I only pick up major releases out of some kind of weird obligation to my identity or something.....

....but then something like BotW lands and I go "oh, right, this is why I like this thing"

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
An opinion is only respectable if it can be defended. Respect people, not opinions

Novamii

@skywake I feel that. Sometimes there's ebbs and flows, and like you, I wonder "Am I happy with this? Deep down, am I just doing this to be a part of something? Is my passion fading?" I think that just comes with every hobby though. There's always gonna be that point where you wonder if this is what you really want? When that happens, I often push myself to discover new series, try things I normally wouldn't, and get an outside perspective. Like, for example: I found myself in a pretty deep rut during quarantine, and slowly fell out of the New Horizons hype with everyone else. Then one day I saw the Danganronpa games on sale and figured I'd try them out. I'd seen YouTube videos of them all over the place, may as well see what all the fuss is about. Turns out, I really like visual novels, something I had disregarded as boring for such a long time. I even marathoned the whole series in one summer! I had a similar situation back in 2019, that summer was pretty rough (Especially with some of the things going on in the Nintendo community at the time.) and I didn't really know where I was at in terms of this whole gaming thing. Was I really having fun, or did I subconsciously want to move on? By the end of that summer, I ended up playing more games than I had in such a long time! Astral Chain, Three Houses, Link's Awakening, you name it! I had gone from feeling somewhat indifferent, to having my energy for gaming completely reinvigorated. It's hard to say where these ebbs come from and what fixes them, it varies from person to person, but I totally get what you mean. Not to mention, it's completely fine to take a break and take up other hobbies to avoid burnout. It can make a world of difference, let me tell you! These times happen, and when they do, just remember that it's just a rough patch. Just stick it out, don't force yourself to play games if you don't want to, and just go at your own pace. You'll feel much better if you stick it out, take care of yourself mentally and physically, and keep your chin up!

Edited on by Novamii

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: (Taking a break and leaving my gamer dungeon before TTYD.)

rallydefault

I think a ton of us try to force liking games almost as a way to fill gaps in our lives that just weren't there when we were kids.

And then we join places like this trying to tap into that nostalgia and stuff, and we feel like we need to be "in on" everything happening. We all join these discussions and pretend like we know everything about gaming, and we like to list the games we're playing and all that.

It's pretty weird when you step back and think about it. It's pretty divorced from doing things when you just intrinsically like them. You shouldn't have to advertise to other people about stuff you just truly like doing.

I think a lot of us need breaks from both games and social media lol

rallydefault

Novamii

@rallydefault A very good point. A lot of us easily forget, you don't need to justify liking something. I think a lot of us look to reviews and deep discussions of games, and forget that it's okay to like something simply because...you like it. There doesn't need to be this deep justification or reason as to what you like and why. As long as you're not hurting anyone, fun is fun. It can be as complex or as simple as you want it to be.

Idealism and realism are only a few letters apart, it's a fine line between the two. One must be careful not
to step too far on one end, as it could very easily throw the other off balance.

My Current Games: (Taking a break and leaving my gamer dungeon before TTYD.)

NintendoByNature

@skywake kind of how I feel at times. Not all the time though. I get in gaming slumps, like to still talk about games, read up on news, and I'll play every night, but that doesn't mean I'm over the moon enthralled with what I'm playing. But then a huge zelda, mario, FE, or xenoblade comes around and I'm 100% sucked back in. It's seasonal for me.

NintendoByNature

Magician

@GrailUK Not a terrible idea there for a thread, Grail. But I assume the Switch successor will get its own forum shortly after it's formally announced.

Until then, can't wait for the leaked images off of the manufacturing assembly line.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,252 games (as of April 30th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

FishyS

Magician wrote:

@GrailUK Not a terrible idea there for a thread, Grail. But I assume the Switch successor will get its own forum shortly after it's formally announced.
Until then, can't wait for the leaked images off of the manufacturing assembly line.

Pretty sure that thread got locked because it was made as a half troll. 😝 It was funny though!

There has been some discussion about the future of the forum and it would make a lot of sense if one of the current threads gets renamed as the main Switch 2 thread in the future. The speculation thread for example was (essentially) created as a Switch 2 thread back in 2021 and now has over 4,000 posts.

https://www.nintendolife.com/forums/nintendo-switch/rumor_new...

The current thread we are in was made in 2015 also essentially as a speculation thread and was later rebranded.

Although it is a good point/question whether Switch 2 will get a completely seperate forum. I suppose the precedent is that it will, although that may be a bit awkward if it turns out to be a slow/soft transition

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

FishyS

skywake wrote:

@FishyS
A half troll? It was a full troll. And I'm all for it!

I mean... yes 😝 But it was a troll which could have masqueraded as a real useful thread. As opposed to most troll threads. Which tbh made it more funny.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

GrailUK

This site has as much of a sense of humour as the XBox brand...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

@skywake Thank you

GrailUK

@FishyS Yeah, it was a light hearted thread is all. I wasn't really trolling anyone.

PikminMarioKirby

@GrailUK I thought it was very nice seeing all of the factual and confirmed information. Maybe it was locked due to other successor threads?

Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door Remake HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GrailUK

@PikminMarioKirby There is a time and a place for having fun...it's not here it seems...

FishyS

GrailUK wrote:

@PikminMarioKirby There is a time and a place for having fun...it's not here it seems...

It might be less the fun and more the fact that there have been like 30 Switch 2 threads 😝

FishyS

GrailUK

@FishyS Mine was the only serious one...

gcunit

@GrailUK If it means anything to you now, know that I was praying for that thread and feel your loss also. Quite unjustified was its fate.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

GrailUK

@gcunit Appreciated! Never mind, I guess I'm just not cut out to make threads. Hmpf!

FishyS

GrailUK wrote:

I guess I'm just not cut out to make threads. Hmpf!

You can always make a thread for the upcoming Monkey Ball game. 😃

FishyS

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic