Forums

Topic: Next Nintendo Direct?

Posts 15,441 to 15,460 of 16,013

Grumblevolcano

I think we'll get Indie World this week or next week. This week is both GDC and PAX East (Nintendo used to time indie presentations with PAX) but then again, they may want to focus on Princess Peach Showtime and Splatoon 3 this week then use announcements (e.g. Indie World, Direct, SpringFest timing) to fill in gaps leading up to Endless Ocean Luminous so next week may be more fitting.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sigran102

I don't know if you guys saw this, but Midori, a leaker as credible as Pyoro, said Persona 6, Persona 3 Reload, and metaphor are all coming to switch 2. That kills any theories about the switch 2 not happening until 2026 or 2027 imo.

Sigran102

FragRed

@Sigran102 That won’t stop people speculating on a 2026/27 release date. All they need to do is speculate that these games will come one to two years after every other system gets it as part of a “double dip” strategy.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

Grumblevolcano

@Sigran102 @FragRed If anything that helps any theories about Switch 2 being even later because Atlus are extremely infamous for releasing "updated" versions with no upgrade path. For example Persona 5 on PS:

• 2016 (Japan)/2017 - Persona 5 (PS3/PS4)
  • 2019 (Japan)/2020 - Persona 5 Royal (PS4)
  • 2022 - Persona 5 Royal (PS5)

It would be very Atlus-like for Switch 2 to get a "complete" edition of Persona 3 Reload with the game + expansion pass all on the cart for $70 and then Atlus adds in FeMC content as a new batch of DLC that's not part of the expansion pass.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Sigran102

@FragRed but if that's the case then how does Atlus already have plans for it?

Sigran102

Sigran102

@Grumblevolcano that makes no sense. It's just a random assumption that the switch 2 would only get some complete addition. Midori said Switch 2 is getting 3 Reload, not some unnanounced complete addition which they of all people would know about. And even if that was the case, if the switch 2 is still 2 or 3 years away, there's no way Atlus already has knows enough about it to confirm 3 games for it. The system would probably still be in the research and development phase at that rate.

The leak was that persona 6 is for PS5, Xbox Series, and Switch 2. It's pretty clear cut to me that they're not talking about some special switch port coming 3 years after it launches for playstation and xbox.

Sigran102

Grumblevolcano

@Sigran102 All your comment means is the games are coming in some form at some point time. Could be Atlus up to their usual tricks regarding re-releases in a few years or could be more immediate like Switch 2 launching in March 2025 with P3R being a launch title.

As both P3R and Metaphor are 2024 games on PC/PS/Xbox, it's unlikely you'd see both games very close together on Switch 2 as P3R would overshadow Metaphor as a result. Timings would likely be in such a way that all 3 games get time in the spotlight.

In any case, I believe the biggest factor in Switch 2 launch timing is Nintendo's 1st party lineup because that's what separates the console from all the PC dockable handhelds like Steam Deck and ROG Ally. If their 1st party lineup is super strong for 2025 and 2026 onwards looks consistent, they'd likely release in March 2025 but if it's not up to their standards they'd likely push the console back.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Sigran102

@Grumblevolcano my point was that if the switch 2 was still 2 or 3 years away, it wouldn't even have finalized specs, let alone dev kits for Atlus to be actively making games for it. At worst it means nothing. I don't understand how you can argue it actually means the switch will come later.

Sigran102

Grumblevolcano

@Sigran102 Not quite, for example Dragon Quest XI was announced for Switch (it was NX back then) in 2015, the console released in 2017 and the game released on Switch as an enhanced port (in the sense of extra content) of the PS4 version in 2019.

The point I was trying to get across was don't discount the possibility that these are complete editions releasing later on.

Grumblevolcano

Sigran102

@Grumblevolcano true, I forgot about dragon quest, but I do think it's a good sign. Leakers with perfect records announcing games for consoles that are 2 or 3 years away would be very surprising. What I'm really objecting to is your point that this is actually an argument that the switch 2 is still far away.

Sigran102

Noble_Haltmann

...While we're in a drought of anything to discuss rumor wise, can we talk about how amazing the Fall 2016 Nintendo 3DS Direct was? Not amazing game wise of course, and it makes sense that it was forgotten given the Nintendo switch was announced like a month later, but this presentation had a flipping STORY that developed in between headline batches through sketches starring Reggie and the NOA staff! Bill Trinen takes Reggie's donuts and personal 3DS and accidentally gets himself shipped to Easter Island!

One of two people in the world who thinks Sunshine is the best Mario game.

Grumblevolcano

There it is, F-Zero Maximum Velocity is coming on March 29th so that's the February 2023 Direct NSO announcements all completed outside of 1 Japan GB exclusive.

Grumblevolcano

Coversnail

There are only 3 more Nintendo-published games with confirmed release dates, Luigi's Mansion in June being the last. It suggests we might be vaguely near a new Direct.

I can't really imagine there's anything really exciting planned before a new console though.

Coversnail

FragRed

Wasn’t there rumours of both a Indie Direct for this month followed by a General Direct next month? Doesn’t look like that Indie Direct is happening unless it’s announced today. Kinda wondering if Nintendo are just going to do a 2020 approach with some Partner Directs and the odd first party announcements just shadow dropped on Twitter.

NEW WEBSITE LAUNCHED! Regular opinion articles, retro game reviews and impression pieces on new games! ENGAGE VG: EngageVG.com

FishyS

@FragRed Between the Nintendo financial meeting in May where it seems likely they will at least admit the existence of a new console and having zero games for the latter half of the year, I feel we are definitely getting some type of direct at or before June. Even if an indie showcase happens, we should at least be getting a mini first party direct — a game or two might be shadow-dropped (like Prime 2), but I doubt they would do that for several months in a row. The 2020 approach was clearly more a reaction to 2020 rather than a planned out approach. Honestly, anyone's guess what if anything happens in April though.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

FishyS

@Tayrailbridge I assume so? But the schedule on the Japanese Nintendo website doesn't say time of day. So... plus or minus 12 hours? 😛

Of course if we end up getting information in a direct, we might not have to beg scraps from whatever they say in the financial meeting. I guess we'll find out.

Edited on by FishyS

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

PikaPhantom

Old rumor was that March would have an Indie World, April would see some kind of Direct, and the Switch 2 would get revealed in June. Evidently, that's not how things are panning out, though I wouldn't rule out a Direct soon with the need for updates on Endless Ocean and TTYD and lack of releases after June. Aprils are also staple months for Indie Worlds anyways, so I think we might see one as soon as next week. Devolver's been teasing a new game reveal for then, if nothing else.

PikaPhantom

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic