Forums

Topic: Games you recently DROPPED

Posts 361 to 370 of 370

FishyS

cwong15 wrote:

No manuals, no instructions, just a massive buffet of games to try out. Trouble is, with this big feast I can't get into any one single game. It's hard to get invested. For example, I start up R-Type, die in a few seconds, repeat a few times and I'm done.

The manual for these games is the entire internet. 😆 Easy enough to find all the instructions, hints, and walkthroughs you want.

As for the massive buffet, one way to go through them is by popularity.. or popularity and skip genres you don't like. NintendoLife conveniently ranks them in articles like this: https://www.nintendolife.com/guides/every-nintendo-switch-onl...

Obviously opinions will vary but the ones at the top of the lists tend to be pretty good and the ones at the bottom tend to be pretty not good.

As for dying immediately in R-type.. that's just kind of how shmups are, even many modern ones. Basically you replay until you get really good at the game and then beat it; definitely not a genre for everyone.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

cwong15

@FishyS Thanks for the game ranking article. I think my problem is that I'm not invested. If I had bought a single game I'd look up a guide and take the trouble to get acquainted with the game. But with 60+ SNES games (or 50 Sega games) staring at me, I simply bop from one game to another and never spend the time and effort to get hooked. And since SNES era games are comparatively difficult, it does take effort to get into a game.

cwong15

Daniel36

@cwong15 The problem with a library of free games (well... "free" in this case), is that you have at least one less incentive to play. If you paid 50 bucks for a game, you are going to make sure you get your money's worth out of it. Heck, when you were younger, renting a game was already a large enough investment to invest time into it.

This is lost.

It's this same reason I never really liked playing ROMs on an emulator. Downloading a 100 games is a recipe for not spending more than 5 minutes on any given game. A game has to be captivating from the start to keep your interest then.

At least, that is the issue for me.

Daniel36

NeonMullet

I almost want to just drop PlayStation 5 and get a PC.
Their latest PS5 Pro unveiling, as expected, was soulless, corporate and bleak. Zero flash, just another lazy depressing dark-vibed' ominous junk presentation hosted by an uncool version of Garth from Wane's World, showing off many of their hyper realistic cinematic snooze fest of exclusives. Are they trying get us excited, or put us in a state of depression?

Sony was so much more fun when they embodied mid 90's pop culture with PS1. I don't know, it's either PS5 Pro as a side console next to my Switch OLED or a PC with a bit more power than a PS5 Pro.

And as expected, PS5 Pro is just another two tone black & white box....But with 3-4 black stripes strapped to the side. Mind blown. lol That's the future for ya! ugh. Nintendo is the only company left with less than half their soul intact these days. They're more corporate, beat for beat and boring these days, but still a lot more up beat and cheery' than the those other two.

Sony needs to stop taking themselves so seriously and lighten up, maybe take a page from their PS1 days & 90's advertizing, plus console design, and catch a rainbow or two.

[Edited by NeonMullet]

NeonMullet

GeneralFulbright

Kingdom Come Deliverance
The game is fantastic, but litteraly unplayable due to the continuous bugs and crashes........

[Edited by GeneralFulbright]

GeneralFulbright

Jhena

Death Stranding
The gameplay is great fun, but I can not play gritty games anymore, only games with good vibes. Well, I tried.

[Edited by Jhena]

Jhena

Switch Friend Code: SW-2361-9475-8611 | Nintendo Network ID: Traumwanderer

Mana_Knight

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (NSO/GBA). Never played this one before, was excited to try.
I liked the look and concept, but found battles so thoroughly boring. I couldn't see myself doing a whole game like it. Wanted to like it, but could not.

I did appreciate that the game decided I was a lonely person based on the Q+A, so therefore I had to play Cubone. I feel both seen and judged in equal measure.

Mana_Knight

Magician

Potion Permit

Got to the 20th hour and encountered a bug where I couldn't diagnose patients.

Switch Physical Collection - 1,292 games (as of September 16th, 2024)
Favorite Quote: "Childhood is not from birth to a certain age and at a certain age the child is grown, and puts away childish things. Childhood is the kingdom where nobody dies." -Edna St. Vincent Millay

caramort

I'm about to drop Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. I got the Dominus collection in part because I wanted to try it.

After revisiting Dawn of Sorrow, I tried Ecclesia and was disappointed. To me, the glyph system is convoluted. Glyphs get obsolete rather quickly and having to navigate the menus to change them due to enemy resistances makes me want to just ignore them altogether. Rescuing the villagers so you can get fetch quests feels uninspired too.

Maybe I'm being overly negative and I should persist (I'm about to face Albus for the first time), but I know I'm close to the breaking point.

Edit: some typo

[Edited by caramort]

caramort

theWildLink

Horizon: Zero Dawn, second time I've dropped that game. Visually it's nice, but gameplay is just too repetitive to me.

You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?

Switch Friend Code: SW-1849-2485-4394

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic