Forums

Topic: Game of the Year: 2024

Posts 1 to 20 of 80

OctolingKing13

Note: If its to early for this thread or if mods dont like it i will be more than happy for yall to remove it :3
I have been thinking recently what the Game Awards are going to look like, and I think its going to be extremely interesting this year. We have had a decent amount of games, they just all seem to not be good enough, usually not higher than an 8/10 in reviews. After 2024 i would say its a very underwhelming year to be honest. So what do yall think the nominees will be, and most importantly the winner?
i personally think nintendo has a good chance this year. i think Thousand Year Door will be nominated, but i dont think it exactly has a chance at winning. Zelda Echoes of Wisdom might look sad after TOTK, but if it has a strong twenty hour campaign, which i think it might, then i think it has a good chance of winning. It looks promising, and its very anticipated, i wouldnt be surprised if it sold 5 mil in three days (zelda fans are intense!!!).
also brothership looks like it could very well be a large game, so i would think that might be a nominee too. anyways thoughts?

afk for a lot of fall, very busy month! still spying on yall :3

CJD87

Hey, great topic actually!

I agree fully that 2024 has been lacking severely - vs recent years, especially 2022 and 2023 (across all platforms, Nin, XB, PS)

I'd expect Nintendo to get plenty of nominations, but can't see them scooping the actual 'GOTY' award this year. Hard to call though, as a lot of the AAA space has been met with contention...

The games I have enjoyed the most would include the Elden Ring DLC and also Hades 2 (early access) - although these would be exempt as not meeting the needed criteria. Balatro was solid enough, and I actually really loved the new Prince of Persia.

Nothing has 'blown me away' though this year to be honest. Last year was ridiculous, with Baldurs 3, TOTK, Resi4 Remake, Street Fighter 6, Armored Core 6

CJD87

Anti-Matter

Game Of The Year 2024 for me is....

Untitled

Barbie Project Friendship by Outright Games

Don't questioning my choice.
Barbie game on PS5 is the best thing for me.

[Edited by Anti-Matter]

Anti-Matter

jedgamesguy

Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is the safe pick I'm not gonna lie, as many problems as there are with the game it's simply astounding.

I'll mention that half the time I was playing Rebirth I wanted to throw the controller at the wall lmao.

jedgamesguy

Switch Friend Code: SW-6764-9521-9114

Bigmanfan

Oh, this is neat. The question is what will be nominated for GOTY. Personally, i would think the only Nintendo game with a chance of being nominated is EOW. It's Zelda, the game awards love Zelda. As far as other nominees go, I'm shocked no one has mentioned animal well. Would not be surprising to see it get nominated. Prince of persianmaybe could, but I'm not as confident in that one. Other than that I don't know. Most of the years great stuff wouldn't count for one reason or another. Elder ring dlc is dlc, ff7 rebirth is a remake, and Hades 2 is an early access release. It's really tough to say how it'll play out.

Bigmanfan

Grumblevolcano

My prediction for the nominees are:

• An indie game (Silksong if it releases by then but if not maybe something like Balatro or Animal Well)
  • FFVII Rebirth
  • Like a Dragon Infinite Wealth
  • Metaphor ReFantazio
  • Astro Bot or Echoes of Wisdom
  • Dragon's Dogma 2

Leaning towards the winner being Rebirth and I don't think Silksong is releasing this year (there wasn't an update on the game during summer showcase season).

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

FawfulsFury

Mario and Luigi Brother Ship may get nominated if it’s not paper jam 2 but my guess is only Zelda will be nominated

FawfulsFury

FishyS

Nintendo will almost certainly win the family category as usual — there are so many potential Nintendo games for that category this year I'm not even sure which ones will be nominated.

Zelda is interesting because it usually gets nominated for the action-adventure category but it is a little unclear how actiony Echoes of Wisdom will be even though Nintendo still labeled it as action-adventure. There is of course a chance it will be nominated for GotY category also, but I wouldn't put the chances as high unless the game turns out to be seriously incredible.

FFVII Rebirth is a definite for nominations for GotY, best music, and maybe a few other categories.

I bet Stellar Blade will be very high in player choice.

My personal dream is Peach Showtime would also be a potential winner in player choice but I know there is no chance.

The Indie category will be interesting with Balatro and Animal Well and Lorelei and the Laser Eyes. Those have been hyped enough I wouldn't be shocked if one was nominated for GotY and then didn't win.

The action categories should be pretty packed this year and hades 2 should show up even though they probably wouldn't put early access in the actual GotY category.

I just realized Palworld was this year — player's choice might be a complete death match between controversial extremely popular games.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Switch Friend Code: SW-2425-4361-0241

PikminMarioKirby

Paper Mario TTYD will probably end up being my personal GotY but it may be harder for a remake to win the actual thing. Game Awards are usually bias and the same genres winning every time, so my guess is that it’ll be light on Nintendo wins.

A NintendoLife user that could talk about Kirby, Pikmin, or Mario RPGs for hours without getting bored!

FishyS

@PikminMarioKirby hmm... Nintendo games got nominated for a ton of categories last year, but this year Nintendo has produced fewer games which slot easily into the standard Game Awards categories. Besides sweeping the family games category, maybe a Nintendo game will at least be nominated for best art direction? Actually, that category might be pretty bloated this year with diverse art styles like Animal Well and Stellar Blade in it, so I'm really not sure.

FishyS

Grumblevolcano

@FishyS I think Astro Bot will win the family category.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Ralizah

So far, Unicorn Overlord seems to have a clear path to victory for the best strategy game award.

I could see Astro Bot doing the usual Nintendo sweep if it's as great as PS fans seem to think it'll be. Maybe even a GOTY contender.

Big money is on FFVII Rebirth for GOTY so far.

Pretty good year for blue team. It'd have probably sold me on PS5 if I didn't know these games were going to PC.

Currently Playing: Fields of Mistria (PC); Cookie Clicker (PC); Metaphor: ReFantazio (PC); Overboard! (PC)

Ugh. Men.

FishyS

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@FishyS I think Astro Bot will win the family category.

There were 5 nominations last year? It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo grabbed 3 nomination spots; there really are a lot of possibilities this year from Nintendo which don't easily fit in other categories. As for who wins, it obviously depends on how good Astro bot and the upcoming Nintendo games are. I'm guessing Nintendo but we'll see.

[Edited by FishyS]

FishyS

Pastellioli

I don’t have a GOTY since I think I haven’t even played a 2024 game this year and all the games I have played are older, but I do definitely think Nintendo does have a good chance of getting nominated a ton, but I believe they will get the most nominations in that family game category and one of their games will take that award home, though there is that Astro Bot game on the PS5 that I have been seeing hype about, so there is a chance that could also get nominated and win that category.

Wouldn’t expect any games from Microsoft to get nominated. I don’t think they have released any significant games this year (in fact I can’t think of any off the top of my head), and most of the anticipated games from them aren’t releasing until next year and one of their major 2024 releases, Avowed, got delayed to next year. I think most of the time their games have a sort of low chance of getting nominated at The Game Awards.

I’m not sure about what game from Nintendo will get a Game Of The Year nomination, another comment here said it could be Echoes of Wisdom, which would make sense, plus that is also one of the bigger Nintendo games this year that I can think of that would warrant a GOTY. However, if it does get nominated, it might have some big competition, like Final Fantasy VII Rebirth (which is a pretty obvious and expected GOTY nominee) and possibly Stellar Blade. I probably would not expect it to get GOTY if it does get nominated.

I expect the Player’s Choice category to include popular games filled with large fanbases, and I’d expect Genshin Impact to get a nomination again. If so, I fully expect that category to be full of a lot of people arguing and insulting each other online and accusing each other of using bots. This category is pretty notorious for having stuff like that.

I don’t really have much other things to say besides those since I haven’t really played any 2024 games at all.

[Edited by Pastellioli]

A random gamer that loves retro games, squirrels, and sleeping.

Currently playing: Hatsune Miku: Colorful Stage! (Mobile) and Yo-Kai Watch 2: Fleshy Souls (3DS)

Switch Friend Code: SW-1834-9478-0593

Grumblevolcano

@FishyS For family category nominations I'd guess:

• Astro Bot
  • Princess Peach Showtime
  • Super Mario Party Jamboree
  • Sonic X Shadow Generations (3D World got nominated in 2021 and the Shadow campaign is sounding to be comparable to Bowser's Fury)
  • Lego Horizon Adventures or Mario & Luigi Brothership

Remakes and remasters getting nominated at the Game Awards tends to happen when there's sizeable new content or when re-imagining is a more accurate description so I don't think any of the Nintendo remasters/remakes will get nominated for anything this year.

[Edited by Grumblevolcano]

Grumblevolcano

Anti-Matter

The game choice from annual game award will never satisfy me, but my GOTY choice will be always satisfy me because i play different games.

Anti-Matter

FishyS

@RygelXVIII I don't think they would let Palworld into the main GotY category because it is still in early access until at least 2025. Similarly to Hades 2. That's why I'm guessing Palworld may be one of the big contender's in the player's choice category instead.

FishyS

Anti-Matter

@FishyS
GOTY is very subjective to each person.
I personally don't care what games will be nominated and won from the award because i already have my own GOTY every year, doesn't even care with the things happened from game award.
I never like whichever games that won and i never ever agree with their decision to nominate the GOTY winner.

[Edited by Anti-Matter]

Anti-Matter

CJD87

I'd expect FF7 Rebirth, Dragons Dogma 2, Zelda: Echoes of Wisom to all be fairly certain shoe-ins for the main GOTY noms. Maybe also LAD: Infinite Wealth.

I'm gonna call this now - but I think the new Dragon Age game could be a last minute underdog for the title.

Balatro and Animel Well are both awesome - but due to their 'indie' labels are maybe not so likely to get a shot at the main title, instead battling out for 'best indie'

CJD87

gcunit

So is the next Astro Bot game just a regular game, or is it still (optional?) VR?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic