Forums

Topic: The Nintendo Switch Thread

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 69,991

erv

Seems software driven - which is of course as good a writing on the wall as any. That slowing down of the 3ds sales will not hit console lows, nintendo cannot afford that plunge in numbers in their key market. So both seem ripe for a replacement.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

DefHalan

Whenever I hear the NX will be both a Home Console and a Portable Console I think of this Untitled

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

gcunit

So far as I'm aware there's been no hint of any software, 1st, 2nd or 3rd party, announced for release in 2017 on a Nintendo system that isn't for NX. Would we not expect to know of some 3DS titles for 2017+ if it were going to be a 'normal' year for the system?

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

Grumblevolcano

@gcunit 1 indie game for 3DS (the sequel to Retro City Rampage) and Zelda U (which is also coming to NX).

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Octane

@gcunit I'm sure they'll delay some of their 3DS games into 2017 to make up for the lack of software

Octane

skywake

@Grumblevolcano
About half the sales for any system are during October, November, December. So in order to this theory of yours to hold they'd have to announce it in December. While maintaining the cover of no Wii U support and lots of 3DS support through their biggest sales period. And presumably with a post-Christmas Nintendo Direct that starts with diabolical laughter and ends with people throwing their monitors through windows. "I hope you had a happy Christmas. Today we're proud to announce that the 3DS you got/gave as a present will be obsolete in 3 months! Surprise!"

Or they announce what this thing actually is sometime between June and September. Because in terms of sales the difference between E3 and September isn't huge. They get a bit of early interest. 6 months before launch they show it off at TGS to start to build up some pre-launch momentum. Going into the holiday period they have people think about whether they buy a PS4 or wait for the NX. They have a few software directs showcasing what games they have in development. Hopefully we start to hear about what third parties are on board and what they're doing.

....... I know which of the two theories I think makes more sense

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Grumblevolcano

@skywake Nintendo's never been about making sense so it's not wise to disregard potential theories.

Something not directly related to NX but may be of interest is that Microsoft announced they're merging XB1 and Windows 10 PC so you'll be able to play XB1 games on PC.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

dtjive

I definitely expect that the NX will be revealed in August/Sept- pricing, spec, name etc. I assume the plan is to do this after E3 when they won't need to compete for spotlight.

They'll then probably announce the software launch titles in November to make up for the lack of anything except Pokemon actually being released in the fall.

dtjive

skywake

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Nintendo's never been about making sense so it's not wise to disregard potential theories.

One theory assumes that Nintendo is deliberately misleading consumers. That they will announce the NX at the latest possible date. That ontop of this there will be no forced announcements that will shatter the illusion that the NX is in actual fact a portable system. The other theory is that the NX is a home console. That Nintendo will announce it at some point before launch and that their sales projections reflect what the NX actually is.

Occam's razor.

Grumblevolcano wrote:

Something not directly related to NX but may be of interest is that Microsoft announced they're merging XB1 and Windows 10 PC so you'll be able to play XB1 games on PC.

It's nice to know that I now have an XBOne.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin

It is also clear that gimmicks don't sell Nintendo Consoles. Nintendo Consoles have sold less than the previous console basically since the N64 (Wii being the exception) and each system has come with its own set of "gimmicks" as you have said the GameCube even had gimmicks. If Nintendo cannot find success through gimmicks, and they cannot find success through their own software, what is left for them? You say powerful hardware might please the minority, but where is the majority? It looks like the majority is on PS4, and why are they on PS4? Is it because of the powerful hardware? Is it because of 3rd Party support? Is it because of the 1st Party software? Or, just maybe, is it all of it? I believe it is all of it. The powerful hardware, with 3rd party support backed by 1st party software. If Nintendo wants to compete then these are areas to look at improving. Blue Ocean strategies can breathe a lot of air into a industry but how can you sustain that strategy. Once a successful Blue Ocean strategy occurs, is there more room to grow? Is that audience still there? I don't think so, and I would be very disappointed if that is Nintendo's strategy moving forward.

Nintendo needs to start competing. We can sit around and talk about the idea that Nintendo could do well on their own, but the evidence from the Wii U points to that not working. As you have said Nintendo software isn't selling anyone on the Wii U's gimmick, so why/how would a new Nintendo only box with a new gimmick change that? Nintendo needs to start competing with Microsoft and Sony, and to do that they need to offer similar features, and try to do those features better. They need 3rd Party, not because 3rd party will sell their system, but because their customer base is expecting 3rd party. They need powerful hardware, not because powerful hardware will sell their system, but because customers expect their games to run as well on their system as any other system. They need good 1st party support, not because it will sell their system, but because it will differentiate them from their competitors. What will sell their system? Giving customers what they want at a low price. Unique features that will add to customers experience without being complicated or distracting.

Nintendo needs to stop pretending they can sell their system and start competing with their competitors because Nintendo is being left out to dry trying to recapture the Wii audience.

EDIT: I realize I went on kinda a rant, I don't really expect people to reply to this. I thought about deleting the post but figured that could lead to confusion. Sorry about that lol

Edited on by DefHalan

DefHalan

Mario123311 wrote:

two words - Virtual Reality

The same thing that tons of other companies are doing? I don't think they need to jump into that competition at the same time as trying to launch a new device and i don't think the new device will just be a VR set up.

GrailUK

There latest business forecast gave away what the Nintendo NX is...

...it's the machine that goes ping in hospital surgeries!

It is a console that aims to start from zero and it will launch with PING!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

GrailUK

Annex: ...to attach, append, or add, especially to something larger or more important...

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

DefHalan

@Project_Dolphin
I don't think the Blue Ocean strategy is going to work. The Wii didn't have to fight against Smart Phones as much as the Wii U or a new system will have to. Everyone now has access to thousands of games from in their pocket. The market of non-console owners wanting to play games is tapped. Nintendo is already trying to address this market by releasing Smart Phone apps and games that will (hopefully) draw people towards Nintendo's own products. Why would Nintendo release a system meant to target this audience when they are already targeting this audience in another department. Looking at the current industry, how can Nintendo find success with a home console without challenging Microsoft and Sony more directly?

I think the fact that PS4's best selling software isn't Sony owned actually plays into Nintendo's hand, who has had strong sales figures of their 1st party content. If a system could offer both 3rd Party Software and Nintendo's Software, plus be up to date with features, then I think it could put up a fight and carve out its place in the market and start affecting the other's consoles grasp on the market. Even if people "don't want Nintendo's Software" they could be persuaded towards Nintendo's system for other features and possible 3rd Party exclusive deals.

The Wii U shows that Nintendo cannot survive on its own and the Market is wanting to make games a certain way. If Nintendo releases a system that doesn't let developers make the games they want, then it will be left out. For the Wii, the controllers and low power got in the way. For the Wii U, the low power and architecture got in the way. (I don't think the GamePad was a bad controller, it offered basically the same layout as a PS4 or XB1 controller and people were fine mostly for the GamePad just to mirror the screen) What are Nintendo's options if they can't survive just on their own software and if they make another system developers don't want to release games for?

WebHead

@DefHalan pretty much this. There's pretty much no blue ocean left to tap into.

WebHead

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3217-6922 | Nintendo Network ID: JTPrime

DefHalan

Project_Dolphin wrote:

That's the only way I think a Sony or Microsoft gamer (or a potential gamer who fits the demographics of Sony and Microsoft gamers) would want to buy the NX. It's just a fact, but most of today's gamers in the West are middle-aged males. Those gamers also prefer playing mature AAA video games to playing Nintendo video games. Making a console that plays Mario video games is not going to be the difference that would make these gamers buy an NX.

Which is why they need 3rd parties on their side. They cannot do it themselves.

Project_Dolphin wrote:

Nintendo has always been about making video games their own way. That's what makes them unique. Simply joining the rest of the industry would cause them to lose their uniqueness and ability to impact the video game industry with their IPs (see the second problem of releasing a PS4-like console that just plays Nintendo video games and third-party video games that I talked about in my previous post).

Nintendo can continue to make their software how they want and they can include hardware to make certain software features work. Streetpass on the 3DS is a great example of that. Hardware was included in the 3DS but not forced on developers that didn't want it. Nintendo doesn't have to change their software since they would be using 3rd Party software to attract the "Mature" audience. Nintendo could still produce their more family friendly software if they would like. Nintendo can continue to stay uniquely Nintendo while providing developers easy to develop for hardware.

Grumblevolcano

@WebHead I have to disagree (sadly), the blue ocean strategy isn't over yet and I think Nintendo's newly announced plans is to further it.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/nintendo_plans_corpo...

Trying to use non-gaming things to get people interested in Nintendo and that sounds a lot like the Wii/DS brand (physical exercise = Wii Sports, Wii Fit; mental exercise = Brain Training, Big Brain Academy; etc.).

Grumblevolcano

DefHalan

Project_Dolphin wrote:

I didn't disagree with that. However, you're missing the main point: the hypothetical console I'm talking about would be competing against two consoles with much larger video game libraries containing "mature AAA" video games and a (likely) cheaper price tag. Unless Nintendo pays to have third-party exclusives on the NX, they would be at a huge disadvantage, because Nintendo video games would not be the difference maker.

Nintendo, if they were going to have a higher price tag, would have to be more powerful and advertise the more "optimized" version. They could also work out DLC deals and exclusive Betas. There are lots of ways Nintendo could be aggressive, and if they are going to stay in the business then they need to be aggressive. One area currently that Nintendo does talk about enough is their free Online. If they could release a console that plays the same games/apps as the other two and offer Free online, that could be a good selling point. (putting the free games aside on Xbox Live and PSN, as Nintendo could offer a subscription service like that without charging for Online)

Project_Dolphin wrote:

No they can't. The "mature AAA" video game industry is a huge industry. Again, look up the best-selling video games on PlayStation. I promise you that that list is not populated by Ratchet & Clank-like video games. Nintendo can't possibly maintain their image if the majority of gamers who play their new console are the gamers whom I referred to in my previous post. Nintendo would be forced to change in order to appeal and cater to their new audience — if they want to stay in business, that is.

That is more about the business than the software. If Nintendo releases a console that is doing well but their Software isn't selling, then they will have to change the software they make. That will be a business decision. Nothing will force Nintendo to make less family friendly software other than money. When it stops selling, they will change what they make to try to make money. That doesn't really have anything to do with the console.

DefHalan

Project_Dolphin wrote:

Then that would just put the NX in direct competition against the PS4 Neo and Xbox 1.5. Same problem. The DLC deals and exclusive betas will also be pricey, and Nintendo will have to compete against companies who can spend more money to secure those deals.

Which is what they will be going up against, so that works out well. They will need to spend money to make money.

Project_Dolphin wrote:

That could work, but Nintendo would have to step up their online game to justify the $0 price tag for internet.

They should step up their online features anyway. It has always been an issue with player that use Online a lot.

Project_Dolphin wrote:

And that also isn't a trivial decision. That decision literally affects Nintendo's philosophy as a video game company and how Nintendo sees itself as a video game company going forward. If they don't mind having their own video games take a backseat to other video games on their own console, then fine, but I think they would mind if that happened.

It isn't a trivial decision, but I don't see how it relates to the hardware conversation. You have pointed out how they can't be successful just selling their software. Which means they need 3rd parties. If they get 3rd Parties and still can't sell their software, then they need to change how they make software. It is difficult to make an argument for software when there is so much unknown about the hardware. If Nintendo gets 3rd parties on their side, then their hardware sales will increase. With more hardware out there, they are more likely to sell their software, which would mean they are less likely to change.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic